Tuesday 11 October 2011

Our children

Another child hurt, with boiling water this time - caught in the middle of adults fighting.  Very quickly outsiders get into the blame mode.  "...it is because of their ethnicity, it is because of poverty, it is because he is male, it is because of the government, it is because......" So easy to point a finger at what the reason is because somehow it lets us off the hook.  Not our responsibility! I would NEVER do anything harmful to a child!!  And I would very much like to think I wouldn't but the truth is I haven't walked a mile in their shoes so I don't know how it is for them, what reason they had for fighting, what reason another child is hurt.  But I do know the next question I am compelled to ask of myself is "if I knew a family was struggling would I step up and offer assistance?" Maybe instead of blaming and fault finding if we could genuinely ask ourselves would be offer help even if we didn't know them.  Would we compassionately walk alongside and support those in need.  How many of us sit in our Utopia and point the finger.  What would happen if we all cared enough to be involved in each others lives?  What if instead of that new car, bigger TV, latest X-Box we offered that money to help a family who was struggling.  What if we reached out a hand of love and support.  Lets build a beautiful world - for our children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment